Responsible Property InvestingSustainable Real Estate
Increasingly more investors realize that social and environmental factors have an impact on the value of a property. This is creating a growing demand for investments in sustainable real estate. This is creating a growing demand for investments in sustainable real estate. Austvent looks to advise our clients on impact investments with a focus on “green” buildings, energy efficiency, and the environmental, social and governance (ESG) process to preserve and enhance risk-adjusted returns.
By focusing on environmental benefits through property fundamentals and operational excellence, we look to create better investment performance. Improved property performance can lead to reduced regulatory risks, better competitive positioning, enhanced liquidity, and the potential for greater overall investment return.At Austvent we advise our clients on investments in property firms and, or direct investments into individual properties by using these ESG principles. We look to maximize the impact capital by using five strategies:
- Leveraging the social sector experience to identify investment opportunities,
- Investing in niche sectors, off-market, or early-stage targets,
- Investing alongside experienced property partners,
- Linking the property investments to high-quality operating businesses, and
- Taking a holistic approach to impact including environmental factors together with social outcomes.
In creating impact investments and assisting investors understand the benefits of investments in environmental, social, and governance we hope to develop a more sustainable real estate market throughout Asia. In 2016, Austvent will formalized this commitment by becoming a signatory to the United Nations Principles of Responsible Investment (UN PRI).Sustainable Manufacturing
The industrial sector uses more delivered energy than any other end-use sector, consuming about one-half of the world's total delivered energy and 30% of the total final energy. Factories also require massive amounts of water and raw materials to operate.
With half the world’s people living in east and south Asia it has created a new paradigm “Factory Asia”. The area produces half the world’s manufactured goods and while this has provided a singular economic boon to developing countries with cheap labor and natural resources it has also resulted in several well publicized environmental and human disasters. Many factories operate on shoestring budgets, in countries with weak or nascent regulations on environmental protection, tend to worry more about producing things quickly and cheaply than about the effects of pollution on their workers, their communities, or the world.
China is suffering from a well-publicized and catastrophic public health crisis.driven by deteriorating air quality, water quality, and food safety resulting from unchecked industrial pollution. High profile factory fires and structural collapses in Bangladesh, while dreadful, overshadow equally disturbing trends in the permanent contamination of the country’s waterways. In India, New Delhi is already ranked the most polluted city in the world, and air pollution ranks as the country’s fifth leading cause of death.
Austvent has taken an active role in researching pathways to global sustainable development visiting many garment factories. And as part of this develop sustainable manufacturing in a more holistic, and focused on providing sustainable facilities.
Our unique value-add includes a combination of:
- Expertise in key issue-areas such as capital markets, business and industries, philanthropy and sustainability
- Creativity and vision, translated into concrete projects, investments, and opportunities
- A proven track record of developing business innovation and sustainability strategies as well as executing impact investments and designing impact investment policies
- Ability to transfer or otherwise adapt leading evaluation, monitoring, and communications approaches across environments (regional, political, and cultural alike)
- Ensuring transparency and accountability
- A wide-ranging and far-reaching network of global partners